Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I finally finished my January Journal Quilt. Well, maybe not completely finished, but close. I chose a photo of the forsythia bush with frost on it at sunrise. When I looked close, there was one flower already opening, even though spring is still weeks away. It seemed to symbolize the eternal nature of, well, nature.

I used that photo, and two others of the same bush, and played with them in Photoshop, then printed them out on fabric. This month's technique was embroidery, and I did some hand stitching and beading. The border is velvet - I tried several other fabrics, but the stark contrast and simplicity worked best. In the photo you can't see the quilting on the border done with black thread, but it looks good in person. The theme was fire and ice, and I think that was captured with the sun and the frost. The color was blue, which I didn't use...

This was a struggle for me - first, when my old sewing machine broke down, I had to do handwork, which I wasn't planning on. Then, I had a hard time getting the whole idea to work, and ended up taking out stitches several times. But, that's what this is all about; learning and improving!

Here's my big score - a Kenmore sewing machine for $5 at a rummage sale! It is clean, solid, runs smoothly, and most important of all - the tension is good! I had been looking for a good old machine like this, so it was a thrill to find it! And, I ordered a new manual and darning foot from Sears. It must be more than 30 years old, but parts are still available. It is all metal, and does buttonholes, zigzag, and a few decorative stitches.




Tonight the sun was peeking through the trees, and coloring them golden. A gorgeous end to another pretty day.

No comments: