Friday, November 19, 2010

 Heard a bunch of noise out there in the late afternoon. It was owls - lots of them! In the trees near the house, two were calling constantly, and being answered by at least two more from further away - and in different directions.
 So, again apologies for the blurry photos - some I took in the low light by hand, but when they didn't show any sign of leaving soon, I fetched my tripod, and got the one above, but he is partly obscured by the branches.
I had thought they were the barred owls that nest in the swamp, but after looking at the photos, I see they are great horned owls! Rather large and threatening-looking, but not overly disturbed by my presence. At first both of them were side by side in one tree, looking at each other each time they called.

No comments: