Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I apologize for the crappy photos of the TV, but this was the closest I was going to get to seeing the 787 take-off! For those who didn't get inundated with this on the news, this is a brand-new airplane built by Boeing, and today was the first test flight. Almost 30 years ago, I had just started working at Boeing and watched the roll-out and test flights of the 767.
Lift-off! This plane is built to be lighter, and is made with plastics, as opposed to aluminum, like every other jet. The wings will flex and are more upswept.
It heads west toward Whidbey Island, kind of visible just below the plane. I ran outside, but it was above the clouds by the time it went over. I could hear it, and the accompanying chase planes. They ended up passing overhead a couple of times, then headed south to Seattle's Boeing Field, where it will be for the next few months of rigorous testing.

No comments: