Sunday, April 6, 2008

Here are some photos of my Hanging Flower willow basket. I made a braided detail for finishing the handle - I love the look of the braids, but they were very hard on the fingers, especially after spending two days working with the willow.
The basket has an extra tall handle, so it can be hung. We used a flower pot as a guide for the size, and will use the pot for planting. You can also line the basket with spagnam moss, then fill with soil and plant, but it will last longer with the pot.
We could choose from a variety of colored willow withies, but I like the greens and blacks, so I kept it simple. The colors are subtle, and will dry more brownish. The smell of the willow will eventually fade away, too, but I love the scent when I'm working with it.
Our teacher, Katherine Lewis, got a photo of me rapping down the sides - using a heavy piece of steel, you have to pound the weave down tightly to keep shrinkage to a minimum. You can see another student's basket with the flower pot inside as a guide.

No comments: